Data Science Certificate
Learn how to analyze data to gain insights, develop new strategies, and cultivate actionable business intelligence in areas as diverse as product design, marketing, and finance.
KEY LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Master key facets of data investigation, including data wrangling, cleaning, sampling, management, exploratory analysis, regression and classification, prediction, and data communication.
- Implement foundational concepts of data computation, such as data structure, algorithms, parallel computing, simulation, and analysis.
- Leverage your knowledge of key subject areas, such as game theory, statistical quality control, exponential smoothing, seasonally adjusted trend analysis, or data visualization.
No application is required. You simply register for graduate courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
EARNING THE CERTIFICATE
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
This certificate requires four courses:
- CSCI E-109 Data Science or CSCI E-107 Introduction to Data Science (choose one required course)
- *Electives (choose any three courses from select group)
*For the elective course group, you may only count one introductory statistics course (STAT E-100 through STAT E-110) and one advanced statistics course (STAT E-150 through STAT E-200).
Prior knowledge in statistics and basic programming is recommended for this certificate. If you do not have a strong background in statistics, begin with a statistics course, such as STAT E-100 Introduction to Quantitative Methods for Social Sciences and Humanities or STAT E-104 Introduction to Quantitative Methods for Economics and Other Quantitative Fields. If you do not have a background in programming, you should consider our programming certificate first or, at minimum, complete CSCI E-7 Introduction to Programming with Python. The Data Science Certificate will be difficult for students with no prior knowledge of Python.
You may choose courses that meet online. On-campus options are available as well.